Seriously- my kids could not stop eating this little "healthy" treat. I had a hard time not taking more then a handful myself for my snack time:) Here is the recipe from Joy Bauer's latest cookbook Slim & Scrumptious.
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups unsalted raw almonds, skin on
1/4 granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder ( I used Ghirardelli..only the best right:))
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt (not table salt)
1. Preheat the over to 275 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat the foil with oil spray. (totally takes away from the clean up mess)
2. In a large bowl, combine the egg white and vanilla and whip until very frothy. Add the almonds to the bowl and stir until they are completely soaked in egg white, about 2 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt until thoroughly mixed. Add the sugar-cocoa mixture to the almonds, and stir until the dry ingredients are completely incorporated and evenly coat the almonds (no dry powder should remain at the bottom of the bowl.)
4. Pour the almonds onto the prepared baking sheet, and use a spatula, spoon, or your hands to spread them in a single even layer. Bake for 25 minutes on the middle oven rack.
5. Using a spatula, flip the almonds over in small batches and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Cool for at least 15 minutes. Break the almonds apart before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition breakdown: Calories: 212 Protein: 7 g Carbohydrates: 13 g Total fat: 14 g
Saturated fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg. Fiber: 4 g Sodium: 35 mg
in other words--- A perfectly healthy snack in EVERY way!