Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Please don't stop the music


This is true for the most part-- but today I felt that I needed that EXTRA bit of strength to push me through my workout.

This is when I have to whip out one of my 3 (and 4 when I'm pregnant)back-up plans for motivation, when my workout/desire just isn't motivating enough. And sometimes this happens a little more often when I'm 7 months pregnant then when I'm not pregnant....

Here is what I do to get myself out of that "rut" when I'm already in the gym:

1. MUSIC- I have a handful of backup songs to get me through those last intense 5-10 min. in the gym. Sometimes I have to listen to these songs the whole 30 min. of cardio..... but I have them on back-up for when I REALLY need that push to keep going and NOT give up!

2. I imagine I'm running in a race, or lifting for a champion title, and if I quit now- I will not make it- and if I just do that one last rep, or that one last quarter mile- then I will have conquered the WORLD!!

3. When I was competing I would remind myself that there were other girls out there who were competing for the same title and working just as hard as I was, and if I quit and they didn't- then they would be that much further ahead of me and I wasn't about to let that happen!!

4. (when I'm in my 3rd trimester) I walk into that gym feeling empowered! Like, LOOK AT ME! Yeah- I'm preggers and proud and I'm still able to 10 push-ups and lift with the best of them (ok, not really) BUT I do feel proud that I'm still in there doing whatever I can. So, when I feel like ending my workout early when I'm ready to pop this kid out... I just think about how strong I am and that I can do this and I'm not going to let my pregnant body quit because "I just don't feel like it" Now- pain- yes, I would stop- but just because I lack the desire--- ain't NO way!:)

So, while YES- desire (along with work) gets us motivated and gets us there in the long haul.... we need a back up plan for when the desire just isn't there in that moment and to get it re-kick started.

What do you do when you feel like just giving up?? What are your secrets??
(this is where you ALL share your comments so that others can try your secrets;))

No comments: